Friday, October 12, 2012

Socrative offers several neat tools

Last summer, my district had an in-service where a tech trainer came in and talked to us about polling tools.   While we were looking at them, he mentioned that he had seen a tool called Socrative but had not checked into it much so he didn't know much about it.  So, I took it to myself to check into the program and investigate it.  I really am happy with what I discovered.

To be honest, I sampled it just last week with my French two class.   I wanted to give them a test and I wanted to do it in a different way. I was pleasantly surprised by how simple to platform is.  There is a template to download into an Excel file where I can edit my exam/ quiz.  I just upload it right to the program and when the kids are ready, I send out the quiz.  There are instant results on every question and you can download a final file that details each students response and its accuracy.

Socrative is easy to use.  You create an account, are given a room code and have the kids log in with that code.  Once in, you force the test to them.  It takes their responses and gives instant feedback to both them and you.  You can leave a screen up and see the results so you know if you need to stop and do some Q/A.  I think there is a lot of potential, especially as an exit slip, a quick warmup, a review game, or even as a method of post lesson evaluation.  I think I am going to try some more things with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately. All content is monitored prior to submission.